Rob Halford Shares Hilarious Stories Behind Classic Judas Priest Photos

There is only one Metal God, and his name is Rob Halford. Beyond his instantly recognizable, genre-defining vocals, the Judas Priest singer is a bona fide style icon that established the now-classic, leather-and-spike-clad, motorcycle-riding, metal-rebel look while creating some of the most impactful heavy music in the last five decades. In Revolver’s Dec/Jan issue, we featured a collection of rock photographer Ross Halfin’s iconic shots of classic-era Judas Priest, titled Leather, Whips and Motorcycles. We recently sat down with Halford to get the stories behind the moments: from pulling “bitch” poses in rural England and striking GQ looks in Rio to dealing with aggro Holiday Inn maids and the Judas Priest tour that likely inspired Spinal Tap.

Comments

quad core says:

Astroglide and turbo lover cranked up to 11!!! Turbo buttpoundings like never before!!!

Gage Crooks says:

Rob just seems like a genuinely good dude.
Much respect sir

William Boyer says:

Still dont understand to this day why Priest doesnt "Grasp the Past" like other bands do in their heyday (Kiss, Maiden, Metallica etc..). Old video / appreciation is everywhere with these bands, but Priest is like one big void. Sad

Lawrence Blakely says:

Love you Rob

Palliare-CarpeDiem z.ΓΊ. Palliativa says:

I am absolutely glad, Rob just talked about it (4:38) – I love Firepower, love current live shows (Rob sings probably the best way he can at this age), but there is one thing I dont like. Its that stage. I would like them to have a similar stage like in 1984-86 era. It was huge, but today its like a small local band is playing in the front of 100 people. Maidens stage is 100% better than this. Pls take that stage back.

audiotrax2000 says:

Great pics. Great interview. I love Robs British humor. πŸ™‚

Stefan Wilhelm says:

Rob ist mit Abstand der beste Heavy Metal SΓ€nger aller Zeiten πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

SuperFreedomRock says:

Was 11 yrs old in 1980 and by '82-''83 I was reading every Circus/Hit Parader mag and buying every Priest, Sabbath and Maiden album I could steal or afford, grew-up with all this stuff when I had a teenage brain primed for it. So lucky to have grown-up in the late 70's/early 80's, seems like a century ago, like a dream.

F Boys says:

Look up Painkiller in the Urban Dictionary

F Boys says:

I wish he was my Grandpa

Karl Lundmark says:

Rob, you're funny! Ram it Down was not at the time of the US Festival! That was still the very awesome Screaming for Vengeance era…which I might add that show was coolest, most metal walk-on stage you ever did!

Pamela diez says:

A great band,cant wait when they come to Hollywood,florida.will be there,if God willing. Love,from a fan.!!πŸ‘πŸ’‘πŸŽ€πŸŽΈβšœοΈπŸŽ‰πŸ˜‚

azwris says:

3000 years of Metal indeed Mr. Halford.

Tasha Allen says:

Always thought he was gay….All that whips an chains shit.

Hector Trejo says:

Saw them at ozfest 2004 in San Bernardino CA ….I was only 14 yrs old dad said we going they had some epic bands and upcoming bands that took over … Sabbath was touring again … They had lights but the sun was still out so fuck it I got to see a band my dad worshipped in the 70s and 80s I'll never forget that day Judas priest kicks fucken ass